About Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas)
Nitrous Oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas that you can breathe. It is used during dental treatment for relaxation and anxiety relief.
Nitrous Oxide has been the primary means of sedation in dentistry for many years. Nitrous oxide is safe – the patient receives 50-70% oxygen mixed with a small amount of Nitrous Oxide.
The patient is able to breathe on his or her own, respond as needed, swallow, talk, and remain in control of all bodily functions. Nitrous Oxide provides relaxation but the patient is still generally aware of surrounding activities.
Dugger Dentistry is proud to be a premier West Linn Family Dentist and offers Nitrous Oxide for all dental procedures.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover.”
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. Its relaxation properties and decreased pain perception develop in as little as 2-3 minutes.